Have you seen the latest TikTok trend that involves banana peel teeth whitening? While this may sound crazy, it's possibly made you stop and wonder whether you can really whiten your teeth with banana peels.
If you haven't already come across this strange new whitening hack, this article will explain exactly what it is and answer the following questions:
- What is banana peel teeth whitening?
- How do you do it?
- Does banana peel teeth whitening really work?
- Are bananas good for your teeth?
- What are alternative teeth whitening methods?
Keep reading to learn whether banana peel whitening is a hoax or a teeth whitening miracle. We hope you find all the answers you’ve been looking for to decide if you want to try out banana teeth whitening.
Table of contents
What is banana peel teeth whitening and how do I do it?
According to the trend, rubbing the inside of a banana peel on your teeth daily, before or after brushing, causes your teeth to gradually get whiter over a few weeks. You can actually buy banana toothpaste, but unfortunately, it's usually just flavouring rather than banana ingredients. If you're looking for whitening toothpaste, you can check our full article here.
Are bananas good for your teeth?
According to banana believers, bananas are great for whitening teeth because of the high mineral value in banana peels. However, there is no scientific evidence that supports this. That being said, according to the Harvard School of Public Health, your average banana is a source of:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
Bananas are a delicious and nutritional snack that is very good for you, but there isn't evidence that they are good for your teeth.
Do banana peels actually whiten teeth?
There is no scientific evidence that you can use banana peels to whiten teeth. The minerals in bananas are good for dental health but they are unlikely to whiten teeth on the first try.
Even though there is no scientific evidence, India Today suggests the ripe banana peel can act as a gentle exfoliator. This means that the banana peel may remove some surface stains but nothing more.
So, it's safe to say that no, bananas cannot whiten your teeth alone. It's probably best to use another teeth whitening method in addition to banana peels to maximise your results.
How can you actually use banana peels on your teeth?
Even if you can’t use banana peels to whiten your teeth, you can use them as a gentle exfoliator with the added benefit that they may help remove some surface stains.
Try it out yourself!
Try using banana peels as a gentle exfoliator for light stain removal to determine whether this hack is for you! Test it out for a few weeks and record your results, but don't expect professional results.
Can other fruit whiten teeth?
The American Dental Association explains why other fruits like strawberries or lemons can't whiten your teeth. People have also tried apple cider vinegar to whiten their teeth, but this is not recommended.
Fruits and vinegar contain acid, which is bad for your teeth. Acid wears down your enamel, which is the thin outer coating of your teeth that protects you from tooth sensitivity and cavities.
Do you still want pearly white teeth?
The best way to naturally whiten your teeth is by including these habits in your daily routine:
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Avoid smoking or using tobacco products
- Limit sugary food and drinks
- Use whitening toothpaste
- Rinse your mouth with water or mouthwash after eating and drinking
Alternative Teeth Whitening Methods:
- Professional teeth whitening at the dentist – Options for professional whitening include laser whitening and zoom (LED) whitening. Laser whitening uses special teeth whitening lasers to accelerate the bleaching effect of a concentrated gel that is applied to the teeth. Zoom (LED) whitening is like laser whitening but uses LED lights to accelerate a whitening agent. These options are pricey, but the results are fast!
- Professional teeth bleaching kits – The best way to whiten teeth professionally at home is with a take-home kit provided by your dentist. Take-home kits might be the best teeth whitening method for you if you want the benefit of safe professional supervision, but you don't need the instant results provided by more expensive in-office teeth whitening treatments.
- Teeth whitening strips – Teeth whitening strips are thin, flexible, transparent or translucent strips that are coated on one side with teeth whitening gel.
- Teeth whitening pens – Teeth whitening pens are an easy-to-use cheaper option, but they may not be as effective. All you have to do is squeeze the gel out and then apply it to the teeth using the brush of the pen.
To answer the question whether banana peels whiten teeth or not, the answer is no. While there is some potential that their exfoliating texture can remove some surface stains, banana peel isn't capable of whitening teeth on a deeper level. We recommend using other whitening methods, such as whitening kits, strips, and professional whitening!
Does rubbing banana peel whiten teeth?
Rubbing banana peel on your teeth probably won't noticeably whiten them. However, banana peel has exfoliating properties, so over time, rubbing it on your teeth may help remove surface stains.
How long does it take to whiten teeth with banana peel?
If you are using a banana peel to remove some surface stains, it may take a couple of weeks of daily use. If you want pearly white teeth, you may wait forever. Banana peels can only potentially remove surface stains, as they have no bleaching properties.