If you're considering braces or have already decided to straighten your smile (congrats!), you're likely wondering: “What can you eat with braces?“
The good news is that you can eat and enjoy a variety of “braces-friendly” meals during your orthodontic treatment. Yes, there are certain foods you must avoid as well, but isn't it worth it to have a beautiful, confident smile, even if you have to give up certain foods for a while?
In this article, we’ll cover the following:
- What to eat with braces the first week
- What foods to eat with braces after the first week
- Top foods and snacks with serving suggestions
We hope this information will get you off to a good start in your braces treatment.
Table of contents
What to eat with braces the first week
The first few days are the most difficult. When you get braces, your mouth is likely to be sensitive in the days after your first appointment, which is why you should eat soft foods at first. When in doubt, go for something easy to chew.
Here are some of the best foods to eat with braces during the first week:
- Mashed potatoes
- Scrambled eggs
- Soft vegetables
- Soft cheese
If your teeth are very sensitive, and these foods still make your teeth uncomfortable, you can try the following foods and drinks, as they are even easier to consume:
- Protein shakes
In addition to the foods that you can eat the first day or the first week after getting braces, we’ll now go over a more comprehensive list.
What can you eat with braces?
To ensure your treatment goes as well as possible, you'll want to stick to soft foods at first, and gradually introduce harder foods. Hard sweets, caramels, and whole apples should be avoided completely according to the British Orthodontic Society (BOS).
Here’s a list of the best foods to eat with braces:
- Dairy products: Yoghurt, as well as other soft dairy items such as cheeses, will become your best friend when you wear braces.
- Vegetables: Many vegetables make fantastic options. However, most vegetables must be cooked before consumption to ensure that you can chew them without difficulty.
- Soft fruits: Bananas, oranges, grapefruits, and other soft fruits may be tasty, convenient, and healthy options.
- Seafood: Tuna, salmon, and a variety of other seafood are excellent sources of protein that don't easily get stuck between your braces.
- Eggs: Eggs can be cooked in whatever way you choose, and they'll still be convenient to consume!
- Breads and cakes: Soft bread can also be a delicious choice. Some good examples are muffins, biscuits, soft tortillas, and pancakes.
- Grains: Spaghetti, noodles, as well as soft-cooked rice also make good options.
What snacks can you eat with braces?
There are many delicious snacks you can try, like sliced (or diced) fruits such as banana, watermelon, mango, applesauce, and small berries such as blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
You can also snack on bite-sized bits of cheese, and make tasty and healthy snacks you can munch on.
Afternoon snacks include puddings, jelly, baked crisps, and muffins. Ice cream, of course, is a great alternative for hurting teeth (just remember to brush your teeth after!).
If you still haven’t found what you're looking for, then here are some more ideas of foods you can eat with braces:
- Macaroni and cheese
- Soup with soft vegetables
- Pasta and noodles
- Soft cooked rice
- Soft tortilla shells
- Chicken noodle soup
- Soft-cooked ground meat
- Egg salad
- Tuna salad
- Steamed and cooked vegetables
- Cooked beans
- French toast
- Cottage cheese
- Cooked fruit
- Scrambled eggs
- Soft bread sandwich
- Mashed potatoes
- Cooked tempeh
Youtube video: What to eat with braces the first week?
If you’re still unsure what to eat with braces your first week, then watch this video from Emma Louise. She will give you some great ideas.
Although the first few weeks with your new braces will undoubtedly be difficult, there's no need to go hungry. There are plenty of delicious foods you can eat with braces.
You can also ask your orthodontist if there are certain meals that will help you get through the first few weeks of braces. And things will improve quickly! You'll be able to eat and enjoy most of your favourite dishes in no time.
Whatever you decide is the best food to eat with braces for you, make sure you brush and floss your teeth afterwards to avoid anything getting stuck in your wires and brackets.