Are you struggling with stained, yellow teeth and urgently looking for how to whiten teeth instantly? If that sounds like you, keep reading to find out some of the fastest ways to whiten teeth!
But, before we dive into how to get whiter teeth instantly, we want to make sure you have all the facts. This article will answer all of your questions about teeth whitening and more, including the following:
- How does teeth whitening work?
- How can I whiten my teeth at home?
- How can I keep my teeth white and prevent staining?
- How can I whiten my teeth if I've had cosmetic work done?
We hope to give you all the knowledge you need for fast teeth whitening by answering these questions.
Table of contents
- 1 How does teeth whitening work?
- 2 How to whiten teeth instantly
- 2.1 Professional whitening
- 2.2 Fast teeth whitening products
- 2.3 Home remedies for teeth whitening fast
- 3 How to remove stains from teeth instantly and whiten them
- 4 Have you had cosmetic dentistry done?
- 5 Conclusion
How does teeth whitening work?
The whitening agent in most whitening treatments is carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide-based and it works by penetrating the enamel to reach the discoloured molecules inside your tooth. Oxygen molecules from the whitening agent react with the discoloured molecules in your teeth, breaking the bonds that hold them together.
When done correctly, it is a safe process for adults and teens.
While this means that you can't whiten teeth instantly, you can try out the following whitening methods and keep up with your dental hygiene.
How to whiten teeth instantly
Though it's not impossible, typically, you won’t get the results you desire instantly. Instead, you may have to repeat the whitening process multiple times, gradually whitening your teeth to get the desired results. Here are some ways you can whiten teeth fast.
Laser teeth whitening options
Potentially the quickest way to whiten teeth is by laser bleaching. This involves using lasers to speed up the bleaching effect of a concentrated whitening gel applied to the teeth. Although it’s the most expensive method, it’s also the closest you’ll get to “instant” teeth whitening.
Your dentist will first apply a rubber seal to protect your gums, then cover your teeth with a bleaching product – likely containing hydrogen peroxide for teeth whitening. Then, by shining a laser on your teeth, whitening happens much faster than with other treatments.
This intense whitening treatment should give clear results after just one visit. It does, however, have greater potential for sensitivity and temporary teeth dehydration following treatment.
Zoom teeth whitening
Zoom whitening technology is another of the fastest ways to whiten teeth. It works similarly to laser whitening but uses LED lights to accelerate a whitening agent.
LED teeth whitening systems are less intense, meaning less chance of sensitivity but also a longer treatment time (normally 3-4 sessions of 45-60 minutes).
Fast teeth whitening products
Teeth whitening kits
First, you apply a bleaching gel to your teeth for a certain amount of time each day. Most kits come with a set of trays (which look like mouth guards) that fit your teeth and hold the gel in place.
The bleach seeps through your tooth enamel to whiten the dentin layer below. Dentin is naturally a darker yellow colour, which is why our teeth aren't perfectly white in the first place.
Teeth whitening pens
Whitening pens are more like brushes; they consist of a small tube of gel that is applied directly to teeth via a built-in brush.
Pens usually contain hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, although some peroxide-free brands are available. Users like them because they're so convenient; you can carry them anywhere and use them whenever you have time.
Treatment takes 1-2 weeks, with about two applications per day lasting between 5 and 30 minutes, depending on the manufacturer.
There are many brands and types of strip solutions, but they all share some characteristics in common. White strips, in general, are thin, flexible, transparent, or translucent strips that are coated on one side with a teeth whitening gel.
Home remedies for teeth whitening fast
Some believe if you rub a banana peel on your teeth using the inside of the peel, your teeth will become whiter. You do this daily before or after brushing your teeth. Supposedly, this causes your teeth to gradually get whiter over a few weeks. Science has yet to confirm whether this works.
One of the best quick teeth whitening home remedies is coconut oil pulling. You swish a spoonful of coconut oil around your mouth for 10-15 minutes. This is a traditional Indian technique for improving oral hygiene. You'll need to rinse and brush as usual afterwards, but you should notice that your teeth feel cleaner.
Homemade whitening paste
You can create a homemade whitening paste using baking soda mixed with water, or a very small amount of hydrogen peroxide. Get a runny consistency and then rub onto teeth for 30 seconds after brushing normally. Limit this method to one or two times per week at most. Overuse can weaken tooth enamel.
How to remove stains from teeth instantly and whiten them
Although no treatment is permanent, you can help make your teeth whiter using some of these methods:
- Brush your teeth twice a day – How to make teeth whiter in 3 minutes, twice a day is by brushing your teeth. The most important time to brush your teeth is at night. Don't skip this one!
- Use whitening toothpaste – Whitening toothpaste is designed to remove stains from teeth. Although it won't get them any whiter than their natural shade, teeth whitening toothpaste can help improve the overall colour of your teeth.
- Consider whitening mouthwash – We recommend using mouthwash with fluoride 30 minutes after brushing your teeth.
- Floss between your teeth – Do this once a day with floss or a Waterpik.
- Don't smoke or use tobacco products – According to guidance from the Centers for Disease Control, quitting tobacco can also give you fresher breath, and healthier gums, and help you avoid future dental problems down the road.
- Avoid acidic food and drinks – Lemons, berries, soda, and coffee can stain your teeth.
- Visit the dentist twice a year for regular dental cleanings.
Have you had cosmetic dentistry done?
If you have had cosmetic dentistry done like veneers or composite bonding, or you have dentures, then you should consult with your doctor before trying any of the fast teeth whitening methods listed above. This is because the chemicals in the whitening agents or natural remedies can harm or weaken fake teeth.
Although you cannot whiten teeth instantly, you now know some quick teeth whitening methods to try out and how you can prevent stains. So try out some whitening methods and see which one is the best for you!
Centers for Disease Control: Benefits of Quitting. Consulted April 27th, 2022.
WebMD: Teeth Whitening. Consulted April 27th, 2022.
Healthline: 6 Simple Ways To Whiten Your Teeth Naturally at Home. Consulted April 27th, 2022.
NBC News: Top-rated at-home teeth whitening kits and products 2021. Consulted April 27th, 2022.