The best toothpaste for gums will depend on your specific gum issue — whether you're dealing with periodontal pockets, gum swelling, sensitivity, or bleeding.
We've put together some of the best toothpaste for sensitive gums, gingivitis, and bleeding gums, each with its own special features and ingredients so you can get on the road to better oral health.
Specifically, we'll have a look at:
- The best toothpaste for enamel and gum sensitivity
- The best toothpaste for bleeding gums
- The best toothpaste for receding gums
- The best toothpaste for swollen gums
If you'd like to cut to the chase, here's a snapshot of our top picks for the best toothpaste based on your gum health concern:
Why it's good for gums
Perodontax Complete Protection
Clinically proven to remove more plaque and relieve swelling and bleeding in gums
Crest Gum Restore
Amino acids help restore gums in just 7 days
Hello Gum Nourishment
Hyuralonic acid soothes gums
Best toothpaste for gums
We've made a short list of our top picks for the best toothpaste for gums based on the issues that most concern our readers, including sensitive enamel and gums, receding gums, swollen gums, and bleeding gums — have a look!
Best toothpaste for bleeding gums — Parodontax Complete Protection
Paradontax Complete Protection Toothpaste is meant for daily use and is an anti-cavity toothpaste.
Its active ingredient is stannous fluoride and it claims to be three times more effective at getting rid of plaque and reducing the bleeding of gums than toothpaste whose active ingredient is sodium monofluorophosphate.
This toothpaste touts eight major benefits:
- Freshens breath: When you’ve got lots of bacteria in your mouth, it can lead to bad breath. But when you brush with this toothpaste, bacteria levels decrease and your breath freshens up
- Strengthens enamel: Stannous fluoride is known to strengthen enamel and prevent it from being damaged
- Deep cleans: Stannous fluoride also helps get rid of more plaque than other toothpaste with different active ingredients for healthier and cleaner gums
- Whitens: This toothpaste is efficient at removing surface stains, restoring teeth to their natural patina
- Prevents bleeding gums: Regular brushing with this toothpaste removes more plaque and reduces the risk of bleeding gums
- Reduces gum inflammation: This toothpaste gets rid of more plaque and the bacteria that comes with it, relieving gum inflammation
- Removes plaque: Stannous fluoride is 3x more effective at removing plaque than toothpaste with sodium monofluorophosphate
- Keeps gum seal tight: By removing more plaque and bacteria, and relieving inflammation, the gum seal stays tight around tooth roots, preventing pockets from forming
It’s been clinically proven to reduce the occurrence of bleeding gums and will keep your breath fresh for longer with its pleasant mint flavor.
Best toothpaste for receding gums — Crest Gum Restore
Crest Gum Restore is made with a special Amino Acid formula that contains the amino acid Glycine.
This amino acid helps treat gingivitis and heal gums in just seven days.
This toothpaste also contains stannous fluoride which provides superior protection against cavities and helps fight gingivitis by neutralizing the bad bacteria that grow from plaque.
The result is noticeably healthier gums in just a week — a claim that is clinically proven, and approved by the ADA.
Best toothpaste for swollen gums — Hello Gum Nourishment Toothpaste
If you're interested in natural toothpaste options, then you may already be familiar with the Hello oral healthcare brand. They tend to use gentler ingredients in their products that are free from Gluten and SLS, and their products aren't tested on animals.
The Hello Gum Nourishment Toothpaste is formulated with hyaluronic acid to soothe gums, and help reduce swelling and discomfort caused by sensitivity and gingivitis.
Studies show that hyaluronic acid is effective in helping to keep gingivitis and gum inflammation in check. It has also been indicated in the reduction of periodontal pockets and bleeding gums.
Another benefit of hyaluronic acid is that it keeps the mouth moisturized, reducing dry mouth which leads to bad breath.
This toothpaste is made with coconut oil and has a sweet mint flavor.
- Comes in a BPA-free tube
- Is made in the US
- Is vegan
- Has no artificial sweeteners
- Has no artificial flavors
- Is gluten-free
In the video below, dental hygienist Whitney talks more about what to do if you have swollen gums — toothpaste can certainly help, but you should also visit your dentist for a cleaning and to make sure that you're not missing any important steps. This goes for any of the gum issues mentioned above, as they are most likely all related.
Not only are unhealthy gums no fun — they hurt, they bleed, they're sensitive — but they are also a huge impediment to a healthy mouth, and a healthy you.
It's essential to ensure you have optimal gum health. And while brushing twice per day and flossing and least once per day, with regular dental checkups should usually be enough, sometimes you need some extra help.
If that's your case, any of the toothpastes listed above may be a good solution for you. For best results, consult with your dentist beforehand, as they are familiar with your teeth and your gums, and can advise you on the best plan of action to improve your gum health.
What is the best toothpaste for gum problems?
Dr. Brite Healthy Gums Toothpaste is designed specifically to care for your gums and tooth enamel. It is formulated with hydroxyapatite which strengthens enamel and Vitamin C which fortifies gums.
Is there a toothpaste that heals gums?
While any of the toothpastes mentioned in this review can help heal your gums, Crest Gum Restore is formulated with the amino acid Glycine to treat gingivitis and help heal gums in just seven days.
NIH: Overview of Calcium Phosphates used in Biomimetic Oral Care. Consulted 26th October 2022.
NIH: Hyaluronic Acid: A Boon in Periodontal Therapy. Consulted 26th October 2022.