In this article, we'll review the best electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth. We'll take a look at some of the top brands on the market, plus some lesser-known ones, and analyze what makes them good for sensitive teeth, from soft bristles to gentle brushing modes.
We'll also answer the following questions:
- What are the benefits of using a gentle electric toothbrush for sensitive gums?
- Will a soft electric toothbrush help with receding gums?
- Which are the best gentle electric toothbrushes for sensitive teeth?
- What is the best electric toothbrush for periodontal disease?
- What is the best toothbrush for sensitive teeth?
Continue reading to find the top electric toothbrushes for sensitive teeth in 2023.
Running short on time? Have a quick look at our roundup of the electric toothbrushes covered in this article in the table below:
Best low-cost electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth
Softest electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth
Philips Sonicare Prestige
Best luxury toothbrush for sensitive gums and teeth
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart
Best Sonicare toothbrush for sensitive gums and teeth
Best Oral B toothbrush for sensitive teeth
Table of contents
- 1 5 best electric toothbrushes for sensitive teeth and gums
- 2 What is the best electric toothbrush for periodontal disease?
- 3 Best electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth and gum care summary
- 4 What causes sensitive teeth and receding gums?
- 5 Should you use an electric toothbrush on sensitive gums and teeth?
- 6 What to consider when looking for an electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth
- 7 Conclusion
5 best electric toothbrushes for sensitive teeth and gums
The cariPRO toothbrush from SmileBrilliant is a more affordable option than the Sonicare Prestige, while still providing the features you need to take care of sensitive teeth:
- 40,000 vibrations/minute dynamic cleaning action
- 5 brush modes (clean, white, massage, gum care, sensitive)
- 30-day battery life (on a full charge)
- Ergonomic slim design with graphite gray soft-touch grip
- The waterproof design is safe for shower or bath
- Auto-interval smart timer for even & timed brushing
- Wireless charging dock
This electric toothbrush doesn't have sensors that warn you if you brush too hard. However, it features a massage and a gum care mode, which makes it a good toothbrush for sensitive gums. If you have sensitive teeth, the “sensitive” mode might be a good fit for you.
It doesn't provide you with an app, which helps you improve your brushing. Nevertheless, it's a good electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth at an excellent price.
Read our comprehensive review of the cariPRO ultrasonic toothbrush for more information.
A Swedish company named FOREO specializes in innovation and employs silicone in many of its products. Their silicone-based ISSA toothbrushes include sonic pulse technology, which helps to break up plaque.
Because the silicone bristles on these toothbrushes are so soft and delicate, they are especially beneficial for sensitive teeth and gums. For further assistance in cleaning your teeth completely, the brush heads also come with a few regular bristles.
For those with sensitive teeth, we recommend the ISSA 3 toothbrush, but you can read our complete review of the whole FOREO toothbrush line for more information on all options.
The FOREO ISSA 3 is constructed of silicone and has 16 speeds to accommodate various sensitivity levels. It also has a built-in timer that vibrates and lights up every 30 seconds. The silicone bristles catch and harbor fewer germs than a typical toothbrush.
This electric toothbrush also has a battery that will last up to 365 days.
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart
- Connectivity through Bluetooth and apps to improve brushing technique
- Internal sensor, which alerts you if you're pressing too hard
- Guides you to reduce your scrubbing intensity
- 3 intensity settings
- 4 cleaning modes: daily cleaning, white+, deep clean+, and gum health
This toothbrush is the best Sonicare toothbrush for receding gums since it features a setting for gum health rather than just a mode for sensitive teeth.
Philips Sonicare Prestige
The Sonicare Prestige 9900 delivers a level of luxury that other toothbrushes don't, even if the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart has everything a decent electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth requires. This may be the ideal option for you if you want the best for the health of your teeth and gums without compromising style and elegance.
The top Sonicare Prestige 9900 toothbrush features include:
- Personalized guidance from the Philips Sonicare app
- SenseIQ technology that adapts to you in real time when you brush too hard
- Realtime feedback on your brushing
- Luxury travel case with USB-C charging port
- Minimalist stand and charging base
The Oral-B iO is a premium electric toothbrush with a variety of functions and is one of our top picks for the best toothbrush for sensitive teeth and gums.
It employs 3D teeth monitoring AI technology and a Bluetooth connection to an app on your smartphone to help you improve your brushing techniques and improve sensitive teeth.
It also has a pressure sensor, which is important if you have sensitive teeth, because it lets you know when you are brushing too hard — a habit that could further weaken your enamel and make teeth even more sensitive. A red light will go on when brushing is too hard, and a green light if brushing pressure is just right.
The Oral-B iO features 7 settings that are gentle on sensitive gums and teeth:
- Daily clean
- Gum care
- Super sensitive
- Tongue clean
The iO has the same oscillating brush movement as all other Oral-B electric toothbrushes, so it's a good brush for those who are already fans of rotating-oscillating technology as opposed to sonic vibrations. Additionally, you may purchase Gentle Care brush heads for the iO, which are made especially for teeth that are sensitive and have receding gums.
You can read our full review on the Oral-B electric toothbrush for more information.
What is the best electric toothbrush for periodontal disease?
The toothbrushes listed above that are suggested for sensitive gums or teeth may all be used if you also have periodontal disease. However, the cariPRO ultrasonic toothbrush may be what you're searching for if you want a toothbrush with high-end capabilities with a more affordable price tag.
Best electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth and gum care summary
The differences and similarities between the electric toothbrushes covered in this article are summarized in the table below.
Philips Sonicare Prestige
Sonicare DiamonClean Smart
Oral-B iO Series 9
16 speed settings
What causes sensitive teeth and receding gums?
When you consume hot and cold meals and beverages, tooth sensitivity often manifests as a sharp pain or a dull ache.
Additionally, it might make it painful for you to clean your teeth or simply breathe in chilly air. Additionally, you may experience swelling and soreness in your gums.
Make an appointment with the dentist if the pain in your teeth and gums becomes severe or persists for a long time. The following underlying diseases or conditions may also contribute to sensitive teeth:
- Receding gums
- Deteriorated or thinning enamel
- Decay and cavities in teeth
- Teeth whitening treatments
- Fresh, loose, or improperly fitted fillings
- Exposed tooth roots
- Pregnancy hormones
Your teeth or gums may be painful or sensitive for a variety of reasons. Your oral hygiene practice has the potential to improve or exacerbate them.
A dental hygienist outlines some of the possible causes of sensitive teeth in the video below:
Should you use an electric toothbrush on sensitive gums and teeth?
Yes, however, if your sensitive teeth are brought on by thin, worn-down tooth enamel, using an electric toothbrush with excessively harsh bristles and excessive vibration might exacerbate the problem.
However, the right electric toothbrush can clean your teeth and remove plaque and germs more effectively than manual toothbrushes. It's crucial to be able to properly clean your teeth and mouth since one of the primary causes of sensitive teeth and gums is poor oral hygiene.
Finding an electric toothbrush that is both gentle and has soft enough bristles to prevent more harm to your gums and tooth enamel is a potential solution.
What to consider when looking for an electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth
An electric toothbrush with an extra-sensitive brush head and easy-to-adjust power levels is best for those who have sensitive gums and teeth.
Some features to look for are:
- Ultra-soft bristles on the brush head: Bristle hardness varies among electric brushes, and some of the best brands feature brush heads designed specifically for sensitive teeth and gum health. Some brush heads have soft or ultra-soft bristles.
- Sensitive cleaning mode: These settings often work at a lower pressure and slower pace to avoid irritating sore or irritated gums or triggering sensitive teeth.
- Gum massage mode: With some electric toothbrushes, the usual two-minute routine is extended by a minute of decreased power brushing in the Gum Health mode. For improved circulation and ultimately greater gum health, use it to gently massage your gums.
- Built-in timer: A timer will alert you when you have brushed for the appropriate amount of time, preventing you from brushing for too long.
- Oscillating brush head: Studies have shown that oscillating brush head technology, which is used in Oral B toothbrushes, is slightly more efficient at removing plaque from teeth.
- Connectivity with apps: Apps may show you where you need to brush more and can help you improve your oral hygiene practice. Better brushing increases the likelihood that you will eliminate plaque and lessen gingivitis from every part of your mouth.
- Pressure sensor: Toothbrushes equipped with pressure sensors will alert you if you apply too much pressure.
- Other cleaning modes: You may wish to use your toothbrush in other cleaning modes at some time, so it's a good idea to provide yourself with alternatives.
The most crucial features to look for when searching for the best electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth and gums are sensitive settings and electric toothbrushes with soft bristles. However, there are a few more aspects that you can check for if you want to ensure that you have the best one for your purposes.
Because they have been shown to clean somewhat better than sonic toothbrushes, electric toothbrushes with oscillating heads, like those from Oral-B are especially beneficial for periodontal disease and gingivitis. However, Sonicare toothbrushes also have their benefits; see our post Sonicare vs. Oral-B to compare these two top brands.
Even while app connection isn't truly necessary, using a toothbrush with this technology may help you improve your brushing technique and oral hygiene regimen. Both the Oral-B iO and the DiamondClean Smart and Sonicare Prestige from Philips are excellent toothbrushes with advanced features and elegant designs.
But, if you aren’t interested in all the extras, and you're seeking a more budget-friendly option, then we highly recommend checking out the cariPRO. It features a built-in timer and has 5 different modes, including a gum care mode and a sensitive mode.
If you're looking for the most elegant toothbrush that gives you a luxurious feel and has all the features of a good electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth, then have a closer look at the Philips Sonicare Prestige.
The FOREO ISSA series is undoubtedly the toothbrush with the softest bristles — made from silicone — if you're seeking the softest electric toothbrush you can find.
Alternatively, bamboo electric toothbrushes often have softer bristles as well — something that might be worth checking out.
International Journal of Dental Hygiene: The efficacy of powered toothbrushes :-A Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analysis-. Consulted 31st December 2021.