If you choose to visit a dentist in Puerto Rico, you can expect the same quality of treatment as you would get in the US and at a much lower cost. That's because Puerto Rico is a US territory, and dentists fall under the jurisdiction of the American Dental Association.
In this article, we'll talk about:
- Puerto Rico dentist prices
- Quality of care
- How to find a dentist in Puerto Rico
Keep reading to find out if dental tourism in Puerto Rico is a good option for you.
Table of contents
Prices for going to a dentist in Puerto Rico
Single dental implant
All-on-4 dental implants
Why go to the dentist in Puerto Rico
There are many reasons to go to Puerto Rico for dental care. Let's have a closer look:
- US territory: Since Puerto Rico is a US territory, you won't need to deal with customs or immigration while traveling. The currency is the same, too, so you don't need to deal with an exchange rate. Your phone will work too, so no need to get an international plan.
- Quality treatment: Puerto Rico is represented by the American Dental Association, and the dental school there is accredited by the ADA.
- English-speaking staff: English and Spanish are both official languages in Puerto Rico, so you don't have to worry about a language barrier.
- Affordable: Dental care in Puerto Rico can be anywhere from 40 to 60% cheaper than it is in the US, making it a cost-effective trip, especially for more expensive treatment like implants.
- Vacation opportunity: Puerto Rico is a hot vacation destination thanks to its Caribbean climate, beaches, history, architecture, rainforest hikes, and more.
How to find a clinic for dental implants in Puerto Rico
The easiest way to find a quality clinic for dental implants in Puerto Rico (or any dental treatment for that matter) is to get the help of an agency like the Medical Tourism Corporation. They can help you find a quality dental clinic in Puerto Rico, plus they offer travel packages for more convenience.
Just fill in your details below for a free quote.
If you decide not to work with a medical tourism agency to help you find a dentist, the ADA has a Find-a-Dentist page where you can search for dentists in Puerto Rico who are accredited.
Is it safe to get dental care in Puerto Rico?
Yes, you can feel safe traveling to Puerto Rico for dental care, or for a vacation in general. Plus, Puerto Rican dentists fall under the jurisdiction of the American Dental Association.
There are some common-sense precautions that you should take while traveling:
- Always be aware of your surroundings and your personal items
- Only carry with you what you need
- Take your ID with you always, but keep it in a safe place
- Be aware of local crime concerns
- Thoroughly research your chosen dental clinic before you go
If you want to find out more about the specific licensing requirements for dentists in Puerto Rico, you can visit this page from the ADA and click on Puerto Rico on the interactive map.
Top dental clinics in Puerto Rico
There are many good clinic options in Puerto Rico — in terms of quality and price — but if you need a little help getting started with your search, the Medical Tourism Corporation recommends two in particular:
Dr. Carlos H. Martínez, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
Dr. Lionel Martínez, Cosmetic and Reconstructive dentistry
While both of these dentists studied in the US, it's perfectly acceptable to choose a dentist who studied at the Puerto Rico School of Health Professions, as this school is accredited by the American Dental Association.
In the video below, you can see Dr. Carlo Martínez discussing the benefits of going to see a dentist in Puerto Rico — he names quality, price, and speed as the top pros:
Dentists in Puerto Rico often train in the US and the dental school in Puerto Rico is accredited by the American Dental Association. This means that getting dental implants in Puerto Rico — or any other treatment — is just as safe as it would be in the United States.
It's also around 50 to 60% cheaper to get dental treatment in Puerto Rico, even though the materials they use in the US are the same. Dentists can charge less because the cost of living is lower.
Before you choose a clinic, make sure to research it thoroughly, or enlist the help of an agency like the Medical Tourism Corporation. They have many years of experience connecting patients in the US with dental clinics abroad. Just fill in your information in the form below to get started:
We have guides for dental tourism in other countries as well — have a look!
How much do dental implants cost in Puerto Rico?
Dental implants in Puerto Rico cost around $2,000 for a single implant, and $10,000 for All-on-4s. This is around 50 to 60% cheaper than it is in the United States.
How much does the dentist in Puerto Rico cost?
Dental care in Puerto Rico typically costs from 50 to 60% less than in the United States. A veneer costs around $375, All-on-4 implants cost around $10,000 and a porcelain crown is around $520.
Is it safe to get dental implants in Puerto Rico?
Puerto Rico is a safe place to get dental treatment, as long as you take common sense precautions as a tourist, and thoroughly research your dental clinic before you go.
Nationalgeographic.com: Puerto Rico's stunning new trail traverses a tropical rainforest. Consulted 23rd February 2023.
Travelinglifestyle.net: Is it safe to travel to Puerto Rico right now? Consulted 23rd February 2023.