Is the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser a good product to buy, or are there better devices on the market?
If you're thinking about replacing your dental flosser with a Waterpik WP-100, read our comprehensive Waterpik Ultra water flosser review to discover everything you need to know about this device and whether it's worth buying.
This Waterpik WP100 Ultra Water Flosser review will cover the following:
- What is the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser and how does it work?
- Waterpik Ultra water flosser's main features
- How beneficial is the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra?
- Waterpik Ultra water flosser reviews
We hope that this information will help you choose the best Waterpik water flosser for your oral hygiene.
Table of contents
- 1 What is the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser and how does it work?
- 2 Waterpik ultra water flosser review
- 3 Waterpik WP-100 Ultra pros and cons
- 4 Waterpik Ultra Plus Review: WP-100 vs WP-150
- 5 Waterpik WP-100 vs WP-660
- 6 Our recommended alternative
- 7 Conclusion
- 8 FAQ
What is the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser and how does it work?
First of all, you should know that the Waterpik WP-100 and the Waterpik Ultra water flossers are the same product. The Waterpik WP-100 Ultra is a countertop water flosser that cleans between your teeth with a stream of water. You can read more about how water flossers work in our article here.
Unlike the rechargeable water flossers on the market, this one is not portable and requires a stable place to rest in your bathroom.
Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser models
The new version of the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser comes in five different variants. The color of each unit is the sole differentiating factor. They also have different model numbers:
- White Ultra Water Flosser – WP 100
- Black Ultra Water Flosser – WP 112
- Blue Ultra Water Flosser – WP 113
- Modern Gray Ultra Water Flosser – WP 117
- Mint Green Ultra Water Flosser – WP 118
Everything just comes down to personal style when deciding between these models because they have the same functions and only vary in color.
What’s included with the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser?
The Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser comes with 6 replacement tips:
- Waterpik Classic Jet Tip: For all-purpose usage. It effectively cleans between teeth and beneath the gum line.
- Waterpik Orthodontic Tip: Eliminates plaque from hard-to-reach areas around orthodontic brackets and wires.
- Waterpik Pik Pocket Tip: A soft rubber tip for delivering gentle low-pressure rinses below the gumline and for cleaning periodontal pockets.
- Waterpik Plaque Seeker Tip: It contains three small tufts of bristles that allow it to reach plaque around implants, crowns, bridges, veneers, and other locations prone to plaque buildup.
- Waterpik Water Flosser Toothbrush Tip: The toothbrush tip allows water to pulse through the brush, cleaning and rinsing the tooth surface. It lets you brush and floss your teeth at the same time.
Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser key features
- Includes 6 tips
- Water pressure control system with 10 settings ranging from 10 to 100 PSI (0.689 to 6.895 Bar)
- Pulses per minute: 1,400
- Reservoir capacity: 22 ounces (651 ml)
- 90+ seconds flossing time per reservoir filling
- Water on/off slider on the handle
- 360-degree tip rotation
- Covered reservoir with built-in tip storage
- 120VAC/60Hz outlets (only for usage in North America)
- Limited warranty of three years; see user manual for details.
How to use the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser
Watch the following video to learn how to use the Waterpik WP100 Ultra water flosser:
Waterpik ultra water flosser review
Using a water flosser is much more convenient than using traditional string floss. But what makes the Waterpik WP100 such a popular device on the market?
Apart from the well-known brand name, the Waterpik WP-100 has a few notable qualities that differentiate it from other flossers. Undoubtedly, it's more appealing than string or wax floss.
But how does the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra stack up against other water flossers, and is the price tag justified?
In our Waterpik Ultra water flosser review, we'll address these and other questions you may have about this device.
Design and Style – ★★★☆☆ (3/5 stars)
We think the design of the old version of Waterpik Ultra looks a little outdated, and it’s not going to win any beauty pageants. There's no arguing that the Waterpik Ultra is a little large and bulky for a typical bathroom.
It takes quite a bit of shelf space, and it also requires connectivity to power. When it comes to the design and style of this water flosser, it looks more like a device that should be in a dentist’s office.
However, people's oral health depends on the usability of water flossers. As long as the water flosser efficiently enhances your dental health, appearance is secondary. If a stylish design is important to you, you might want to look into different water flossers.
Cleaning result – ★★★★☆ (4/5 stars)
According to Waterpik, the WP-100 Ultra water flosser provides you with the following oral health benefits:
- It removes up to 99.9% of plaque from treated areas.
- It has been clinically confirmed to be up to 50% more effective than string floss in improving gum health, and up to 3X more effective than string floss with the orthodontic tip in removing plaque around braces.
- It's ideal for patients who have implants, crowns, bridges, and veneers.
That all sounds terrific! But does the Waterpik Ultra water flosser deliver on its claims?
When searching for Waterpik Ultra water flosser reviews online, you find that customers are generally pleased with the cleaning result.
I have not used a water pick before and after a dental problem, it was suggested by my dentist to try one. It is really helping, and dislodging particles that brushing did not remove. This unit seems to have what I need.GJ
The product itself is great, getting small food particles from between teeth, even after flossing. One problem I've encountered is that the pause button sticks and is very tricky to get it working again. Could have a better design on that.Blue Jay
There are a few features that contribute to the excellent usability and cleaning results:
- Wide range of pressure settings (from 10 to 100 PSI).
- Large reservoir for 90+ seconds of flossing time.
- The variety of specialty tips
When it comes to functionality and cleaning performance, the Waterpik Ultra outperforms the competition due to these capabilities.
Noise – ★★☆☆☆ (2/5 stars)
It's significant that the design is attractive and stylish. Even more importantly, is that the water flosser actually gets the job done and properly cleans your teeth.
Nevertheless, there are also other aspects to consider. A decent water flosser should not be overly noisy. If you use the water flosser early in the morning for your dental hygiene routine, you don’t want to wake anyone up.
The Waterpik Ultra water flosser is rather loud, and the higher the pressure setting, the louder it becomes. Here are some opinions from customers criticizing the noisiness in their Waterpik Ultra water flosser reviews:
Purchased this to replace an identical model that I had owned and operated for several years due to a leaking hose. The new unit is VERY loud in comparison. When I contacted Waterpik about the problem, I was told that the loudness is normal and is due to a change in material and that nothing could be done to remedy the condition. The loudness is invasive to others in the home.Anonymous
Works fine but too noisy. Apart from the noise, once you start using a water flosser, will be forever, try to get a quiet one.Francisco
As you can see, many customers are dissatisfied with the noise level produced by the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra. Keep in mind that the majority of electric water flossers make some noise. However, the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra seems to get more noise complaints than other water flossers. If the device's quietness is vital to you, consider alternative options.
Quality and reliability – ★★★☆☆ (3/5 stars)
The Waterpik brand is recognized for its high-quality water flossers and their ability to effectively clean teeth. When searching for Waterpik Ultra water flosser reviews, you'll find many satisfied customers.
However, we found a few things you should be aware of.
According to various Waterpik Ultra water flosser reviews on Amazon, there are issues with water leaks in the tank. Just read this Waterpik Ultra review:
I’ve had the item for one week, used about 5 times and the water tub has started leaking. Badly. As I put the water in it leaks straight out of the bottom and leaks from sides while in use.Anonymous
However, as some other customers report in their Waterpik Ultra water flosser reviews, there seems to be a fix to this problem.
Also the tiny black plug in the bottom of the reservoir will leak while its off the base being filled, but I finally figured out it only needed for me to reach inside the reservoir and press down on the black plug once (before!) filling, then no water leaks out when it's off the reservoir. Overall it's a great little machine, no complaints here.Kelly B.
This is a great water pik. The only problem that I have with it is the quality. Just like my old Waterpik, the blue water container leaks water from the black rubber stopper. I have to push the stopper over and over until it stops leaking. Sometimes it won't stop leaking no matter how many times I try to reseat the stopper. Other than that, it's a good product.Angie
So there might be a temporary fix for the problem, and you don't have to dispose of the device. However, if you decide to buy the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser, keep in mind that there are potential water leaks.
The Waterpik Ultra is a practical and effective water flosser for maintaining good oral health. However, mold has been a concern for some users.
It works great, but I started to notice black stuff coming out. I wash it with soap after every single use. The other day I decided to open it and it is amazing how gross it is!! It's filled with mold and I've been using it like that for I don't know how long. Mold is no joke. Horrible design!!Ina
If you decide to buy the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra, be cautious. Fortunately, there are a few steps you can take to prevent mold growth.
- Remove any remaining water from the reservoir after use.
- Switch the device back on to ensure there’s no water left in the hose.
- Make sure the wand is completely dry before placing it in the holding bracket.
If this isn't enough, there are some more things you can do:
- Run a vinegar solution through the Waterpik Ultra every now and then
- Clean the water tank with soap or put it in the dishwasher.
- After each usage, air-dry the water flosser.
Warranty – ★★★★☆ (4/5 stars)
The Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser comes with a three-year warranty to ensure your satisfaction. Keep in mind, however, that the guarantee may be voided under certain situations. The following is a quote from the Waterpik WP-100 user handbook on the warranty:
Water Pik, Inc. will replace at its discretion the product, provided the product has not been abused, misused, altered, or damaged after purchase, was used according to instructions, and was used only with accessories or consumable parts approved by Water Pik, Inc. This limited warranty excludes accessories or consumable parts such as tips, etc. Use with improper voltage will damage the product and VOID warranty.Waterpik.com
As a consequence, when buying a device like the Waterpik Ultra, you should always read the terms carefully to make sure the warranty is not voided.
Price – ★★★☆☆ (3/5 stars)
At the time of writing this article, the Waterpik WP-100 Ultra water flosser is selling for $89 on Amazon. However, the price may change.
Waterpik WP-100 Ultra pros and cons
Waterpik Ultra Plus Review: WP-100 vs WP-150
With the updated version, the Waterpik “Ultra Plus” (WP150), they refined a few things. However, the adjustments are minor. The changes include an updated design, which looks more elegant and stylish. Additionally, the wheel for adjusting the water pressure has been enhanced.
The retail price of the Waterpik Ultra Plus is $89.99 at the time of writing this article. Unfortunately, it seems that Waterpik is no longer offering it on Amazon. But you can read more about “Ultra Plus” on Waterpik.com.
Waterpik WP-100 vs WP-660
Here we compare the ‘old' and the ‘new' version. There are some improvements on the WP-660 compared to the previous versions. However, many customers are saying that the old version was better in some aspects.
Waterpik WP-100 Ultra
Details correct at time of writing; check marketplace for current price and policy details.
Our recommended alternative
The Waterpik Ultra may be a good option if you're searching for a countertop water flosser. But, as previously said, it has several flaws.
- The Waterpik WP-100 Ultra is very noisy. If you look for Waterpik Ultra water flosser reviews on Amazon, you will find countless customers criticizing the loud noise.
- The water tank leaks water. (This can be fixed, as mentioned earlier.)
- The design is not very stylish.
If you can get past these issues, the Waterpik WP-100 is a reliable device with solid performance. However, we believe that competing water flossers provide better value for money without the drawbacks that the Waterpik WP-100 has.
The cariPRO cordless water flosser is our top choice. It includes the following benefits:
- Portable: The device is cordless and powered by a rechargeable battery. You may move around easily and take it with you on the go.
- Waterproof: You can floss while you're in the shower since it's waterproof. It saves you time while also preventing water from splashing in your bathroom.
- 4 specialty flossing tips: With different tips designed specifically for orthodontics, implants, gum pockets, and standard flossing, you get a personalized experience.
- 3 flossing modes: Normal, soft and pulsing flossing modes let you choose the one that feels best along your gum line.
- 60-day trial: You can use the cariPRO for 60 days, and if you aren't happy with it, you can return it for a refund.
Waterpik WP-100 Ultra
cariPRO Cordless water flosser
Details correct at time of writing; check marketplace for current price and policy details.
The Waterpik WP-100 Ultra is among the most effective water flossers on the market. However, it has some flaws, and the design is not the most elegant. Especially the old version is not very elegant when it comes to appearance.
In addition, the WP-100 Ultra doesn’t really provide anything innovative, and we doubt it would have been the best-selling flosser if it hadn't been developed by Waterpik. Furthermore, an increasing number of users are mentioning problems in their Waterpik Ultra reviews.
How do I use the Waterpik Ultra water flosser?
Decide on the power level. Lean over the sink and insert the tip in your mouth. Turn on the device. Allow the water to flow off by gently opening your mouth.
What is the best Waterpik Ultra tip to use?
The standard tip for routine usage is the Classic Jet Tip. It cleans thoroughly between teeth and below the gum line, preventing gum disease and improving oral health.
Waterpik.com: Waterpik WP-100 Ultra Water Flosser. Consulted 10th March 2022.