Are you looking for the best dental insurance in Mississippi?
Choosing the right dental insurance could drastically cut your out-of-pocket dental costs, so it's worth taking the time to look into all of your options.
We'll go over the various types of dental insurance plans available in Mississippi in this post, and answer the following:
- What types of dental insurance are available in Mississippi?
- Are there dental insurance plans in Mississippi with no waiting period?
- How do you find the most affordable dental insurance in Mississippi?
We hope that the information here will help you choose dental insurance in Mississippi that meets your needs.
Dentalinsurance.com makes it simple to compare Mississippi dental insurance policies. Finding and enrolling in the best plans in your state is easy and quick with our online marketplace.
To check what plans are available in your area, just enter your zip code and date of birth, or call 888-626-0057 to speak to one of their representatives.
Table of contents
What types of dental insurance are available in Mississippi?
There are many dental plans to choose from. However, dental insurance plans in Mississippi can be categorized into three main categories. These are PPO plans, DHMO plans, and dental discount plans.
- PPO plans provide the most flexibility while also providing the most comprehensive coverage. But, these types of dental insurance plans also have the most expensive premiums.
- DHMO plans: These dental plans are usually less expensive than PPO plans, and there are no waiting periods. However, you may be required to choose a primary care dentist who will take care of all of your dental requirements. You'll be charged a set co-payment rather than a percentage of the overall cost.
- Dental discount plans are often referred to as dental savings plans. Because they are not the same as dental insurance, you must pay the dentist directly. On the upside, these plans don't have a waiting period.
Specific types of dental insurance in Mississippi
Depending on your needs, you can also get more specific types of dental insurance, like:
- Dental insurance for seniors
- Dental insurance for veterans
- Braces dental insurance
- Insurance for dental implants
What to consider when buying dental insurance in Mississippi
It takes more than a price comparison to find the best dental insurance in Mississippi. The cheapest dental insurance isn't always the best or most cost-effective option. The following aspects should also be considered:
You may have only been looking for the cheapest dental insurance in Mississippi. But premiums aren't the only cost that will dictate how much your insurance costs in the long run. The following are the four factors that influence the overall cost of a dental plan:
- Premium: In exchange for coverage, you must pay this monthly, quarterly, or annual amount whether or not you receive treatment.
- Co-payment: This is the amount you must pay out-of-pocket for each treatment. This might be a percentage of the entire amount if you have a PPO plan. You are charged a fixed sum for DHMO plans.
- Deductible: This is the very minimum you must spend on dental care before your insurance provider begins to split your dental expenses with you.
- Annual maximum limit: The yearly maximum limit refers to the most your dental plan will pay for your treatment during any particular plan year.
Most dental insurance policies include full coverage for preventive and diagnostic dental services such as exams, x-rays, and cleanings, but before you sign up for a plan, make sure to double-check.
If you need more complex procedures, such as crowns, orthodontics, dental implants, or teeth whitening, you should choose a plan that covers these services, since these procedures may be relatively expensive.
Choosing dental insurance with no waiting period
Most dental insurance policies may require you to wait a set amount of time before having certain dental treatments done, particularly if the procedure is difficult and costly. While preventive and diagnostic services usually do not have a waiting period, major treatments typically have a 3–12 month waiting period.
If you require immediate dental care, look for dental insurance in Mississippi with no waiting period.
Best dental insurance providers in Mississippi
If you don't qualify for Medicaid's low-income dental insurance, check out these private dental insurance providers to get an idea of what's out there and start limiting your options.
Delta Dental provides a number of dental insurance plans in Mississippi.
Delta Dental Gold Plan (PPO)
This plan provides a maximum benefit of $1,000 per person per year. The annual deductible is $50 per person. Exams, x-rays, and cleanings have no waiting period and are covered 60% in the first year, 80% in the second year, and 100% in the third. After a six-month waiting period, fillings are covered by 50-80%.
Treatments such as crowns, root canals, dentures, and deep cleanings are available after a one-year waiting period. These major treatments are covered by 30% in the second year and by 50% in the subsequent years.
Delta Dental Immediate Coverage Plan (PPO)
This dental insurance plan has a yearly limit of $3,000 per covered person. For diagnostic, basic, and major treatments, there is no deductible. You will be charged a $25 copay for each office visit, and orthodontics has a $150 lifetime deductible.
Preventive care is covered to the extent of 80% in the first year, 90% in the second, and 100% in the third and following years. Fillings are covered by 60-80% with no waiting period. Costly treatments such as crowns, extractions, dentures, root canals, and deep cleanings are covered by 10–50% with no waiting period.
This plan can also be an option for people who are looking for dental insurance with no waiting period.
BlueCross BlueShield dental insurance
Blue Cross Blue Shield offers a wide range of health care products in Mississippi, including Medicaid and other health and dental insurance combinations. However, in this post, we’ll only cover the dental benefits.
BlueCross BlueShield Comprehensive Plan
This Blue Cross Blue Shield dental insurance plan gives you 100% coverage for diagnostic and preventive services. This includes fluoride treatments, exams, x-rays, and routine cleanings. Basic services such as space maintainers, fillings, root canals, and extractions are covered by 80%. This dental plan also provides 60% coverage for periodontics.
There’s a $50 deductible, which doesn’t apply to preventive and diagnostic services. The annual maximum benefit is $1,000 per person per year.
Blue Cross Blue Shield Comprehensive Plus
The highest Blue Cross dental plan includes everything from the Comprehensive 2. In addition, you get 50% coverage on orthodontic treatments. A $100 lifetime deductible and a $1,000 lifetime maximum apply per member.
Guardian Direct offers a variety of dental insurance plans in Mississippi. Here are two of them:
Guardian Direct Advantage Starter (PPO)
This is Guardian Direct's cheapest dental insurance plan. It gives you increasing annual maximum benefits. You get $500 in the first year, $750 in the second year, and $1,000 in subsequent years.
Preventive services have 100% coverage at in-network dentists. At out-of-network dentists, you also get 100% coverage, but a $50 deductible applies. Fillings and extractions are covered by 50% after a six-month waiting period.
Guardian Direct Advantage Core (PPO)
This dental insurance plan covers everything from the Starter plan. Furthermore, after a 12-month waiting period, you’ll get 50% coverage on crowns, root canals, dentures, deep cleanings, and implants. Dental implants have a $700 lifetime maximum benefit.
Type of plans offered
PPO, Idemnity Plans
Blue Cross Blue Shield
PPO, combination plans
Details correct at time of writing; check with the insurer for current and complete policy details.
Finding the ideal dental plan may be challenging, and you may be unsure which kind of dental insurance is best for you.
Regardless of whichever provider you pick, keep the following aspects in mind while looking for the best dental insurance plan in Mississippi:
- A low-cost premium plan is the best choice if your teeth are in excellent health, and you just require regular cleanings and possibly a filling.
- Choose a higher-priced plan with additional coverage if you think you'll need pricey procedures in the future. It will be more cost-effective in the long run.
- When you buy dental insurance, read the policy carefully to make sure you know what you're agreeing to.
- Also, especially if your dental insurance covers them, it's important to take advantage of preventative regular cleanings. Dental checkups and cleanings on a regular basis will keep your teeth healthy and save you money in the long run.
Finally, which is the best dental insurance in Mississippi that we recommend?
Despite our best efforts, there is no such thing as a universal or one-size-fits-all dental insurance plan, since everyone's needs are unique.
We looked into Mississippi's most popular dental insurance plans and double-checked that they were offered in key locations, including Jackson, Gulfport, Biloxi, and Hattiesburg.
Depending on where you live, health insurance providers like Medicaid, Careington, NCD Dental, Cigna, Humana, Metlife, Ameritas, Nationwide, Humana, AARP, or Renaissance Dental may also be able to offer dental insurance.
If you want to read about the best insurance options in any other state, please select from the list below.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
What is the best dental insurance in the state of Mississippi?
When it comes to choosing dental insurance, there is no one-size-fits-all policy, since everyone's needs are different. The insurance that covers the treatments you require will be the most cost-effective.
Dentalinsurance.com can assist you in determining which dental insurance plan is right for you. To begin looking into dental insurance alternatives in Mississippi, enter your ZIP code and date of birth. Simply click the button below to get started.
Bcbsms.com: Blue Cross Blue Shield Mississippi dental benefits. Consulted 28th April 2022.