If you're looking for the best dental insurance in Kentucky, you'll find a wide variety of choices. But how do you know which dental insurance plan is the best fit for you?
Take the time to properly research your alternatives before enrolling in dental insurance, since choosing the ideal dental insurance plan might save you a lot of money in the long term. On the other hand, picking the incorrect dental insurance might result in higher overall dental expenses.
We've put together a guide to the different dental insurance plans in Kentucky, which includes information on the following:
- What types of dental insurance are available in Kentucky?
- When buying dental insurance, what features should you look for?
- How to find dental insurance in Kentucky with no waiting period?
We hope that this information will help you choose the best dental insurance in Kentucky for your specific requirements.
Do you live in a different state? Take a look at our nationwide dental insurance guide.
Table of contents
Types of dental insurance in Kentucky
We'll start by going through the several forms of dental insurance that are available in Kentucky. Dental plans come in a wide variety. But, they can be divided into three groups:
- PPO plans provide the greatest flexibility as well as the most comprehensive coverage. Unfortunately, these dental insurance plans also have the highest premiums.
- DHMO plans: Dental plans like these are typically less costly than PPO policies and there are no waiting periods. On the downside, you may be required to choose a primary care dentist who will handle all of your dental needs, and you will be charged fixed co-payments.
- Dental discount plans: These membership programs allow you to save 10-40% right away. However, instead of filling out insurance paperwork, you'll have to pay for the dentist yourself.
What to consider when buying dental insurance in Kentucky
Finding the best dental insurance in Kentucky requires more than price comparison. Dental insurance that is the cheapest isn't necessarily the most cost-effective option in the long run. The following factors should also be taken into account:
Maybe all you want is the cheapest dental insurance in Kentucky. It's important to keep in mind, however, that your dental expenses aren't only determined by your insurance premium. The four elements that determine the total cost of a dental plan are as follows:
- Maximum annual limit: The annual maximum limit is the utmost amount your dental plan will pay for your treatment in any given plan year.
- Deductible: This is the very bare minimum you must spend on dental treatment before your insurance company starts splitting your dental costs with you.
- Co-payment: The amount you must pay for each treatment out of pocket. Depending on the kind of dental insurance you have, this might be a fixed amount or a percentage of the total cost.
- Premium: You must pay this monthly, quarterly, or yearly fee whether or not you file an insurance claim.
Most dental insurance plans cover preventative and diagnostic dental procedures such as checkups, x-rays, and cleanings in full.
If you need more complex procedures, such as dentures, crowns, braces, dental implants, or teeth whitening, you should choose a plan that includes these services since they may be costly.
No waiting period
If you require immediate dental care, make finding dental insurance in Kentucky with no waiting period a top priority. You may want to explore the following possibilities:
- Dental discount plans: These dental savings programs aren't dental insurance, but they do provide you with discounts on major procedures with no waiting period.
- Dental tourism: If you need expensive procedures such as dental implants or All-on-4, you may want to consider taking a dental vacation. When compared to dental work in Kentucky, this may save you up to 70%.
- Dental financing: If you don’t want to go abroad, and you require expensive dental treatment right away, you might also want to look into your dental financing options.
Best dental insurance companies in Kentucky
If you're not eligible for low-cost dental insurance like Medicaid, you have to look for private dental insurance providers. We've put up a list of the most popular dental plans so you can get an idea of what's out there and start narrowing down your search.
Delta Dental offers a small range of dental insurance plans in Kentucky. Here's one example:
Delta Dental Happy Smiles (PPO)
This is the most affordable dental insurance plan provided by Delta Dental Kentucky. It provides you with an increasing annual maximum benefit. The dental plan covers up to $500 in the first year, $750 in the second year, and up to $1,000 in the following years. There’s a $50 deductible per person per year and a $150 deductible for family dental insurance.
This Delta Dental plan covers preventive services at 100% in-network and 80% out-of-network with no waiting period. Fillings, extractions, and teeth whitening are covered by 10-50% after the deductible.
Humana also provides a variety of dental insurance plans in Kentucky.
Humana Dental Value Plan C550 (DHMO)
This is a DHMO plan, and it works differently than the other dental insurance plans. There is no annual maximum and there are no deductibles to pay. This dental insurance plan also doesn’t have a waiting period.
Preventive services such as exams, cleanings, and x-rays are fully covered. All other treatments have a fixed price. This might be convenient for those who like to know the cost of each therapy upfront.
Humana Loyalty Plus (PPO)
For as long as you continue on this Humana dental insurance plan, you will have a one-time deductible. The yearly maximum and coverage percentages are also incentivized, and they increase from years one to three.
Exams and cleanings are fully covered. X-rays, fillings, and extractions are covered by 40–70%, while crowns, root canals, dentures, and deep cleanings are covered by 20–50%.
This might also be a good alternative if you're seeking a dental insurance plan in Kentucky with no waiting period.
Anthem BlueCross BlueShield
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield offers a large variety of PPO plans in Kentucky.
Anthem BlueCross Bronze Plan (PPO):
This is Anthem's cheapest dental plan in Kentucky. Preventive and diagnostic services are covered by 100% in-network and 80% out-of-network. Fillings and extractions are covered by 50% after a three-month waiting period.
The annual maximum benefit of this Kentucky dental insurance plan is $1,000 per person. The deductible is $50 for individual dental insurance and $150 for family dental insurance. This can be a great option if your teeth are in good shape and you don’t anticipate major procedures.
Anthem BlueCross Silver Plan (PPO):
This dental insurance plan works in a similar way as the Bronze plan. However, preventive services are also fully covered out-of-network. This Kentucky dental insurance plan also covers major treatments such as crowns, root canals, dentures, and deep cleanings by 50% after a six-month waiting period.
DenteMax offers a dental discount plan in Kentucky. This is not dental insurance; however, you get 10-40% discounts on cleanings, x-rays, crowns, root canals, dentures, implants, and other treatments. It has no waiting periods, so it can be a good option if you need immediate dental care.
This is also a great alternative to dental insurance for seniors in Kentucky, as it covers all the treatments seniors are likely to require.
Other dental insurance options in Kentucky
There are also more specific dental insurance plans that may or may not be applicable to you.
- Military dental insurance
- Dental insurance for seniors
- Insurance for dental implants
- Dental insurance for braces
- Invisalign dental insurance
Type of plans offered
PPO, Idemnity Plans
PPO, DHMO, dental discount plans
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
Dental discount plan
Details correct at time of writing; check with the insurer for current and complete policy details.
It might be challenging to figure out which dental plan provides the best value. Keep the following in mind while searching for the best dental insurance in Kentucky, regardless of which company you choose:
- Always read the terms of the dental insurance policy carefully to ensure that you entirely understand what you're agreeing to.
- Take advantage of preventive services whenever possible, particularly if your dental insurance plan covers them completely. Regular cleanings might help you prevent significant dental procedures, which can be costly and aren't always covered by dental plans.
- If your teeth are in good shape, and you only require preventive care and fillings, a low-cost premium plan is a good choice.
- Paying a higher premium but obtaining additional coverage is a good investment if your teeth are in bad shape, and you anticipate needing dental implants, crowns, root canal surgery, or other pricey procedures.
If you want to read about the best insurance options in any other state, please select from the list below.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
What is the best dental insurance in Kentucky?
There is no universal approach. Some people only need preventative care, whereas others may require major treatments. Some good companies are Delta Dental, Humana, Metlife, and Guardian Direct.
We looked into Kentucky's best dental insurance providers and confirmed that they were offered in the state's major cities, including Louisville, Lexington-Fayette, Bowling Green, Owensboro, and Covington. Depending on where you live, different dental insurance companies such as Ameritas, Guardian Direct, Metlife, Renaissance Dental, NCD Dental, or Nationwide may be offered.
Dentalinsurance.com can assist you in locating the most suitable dental insurance for your needs. Enter your ZIP code and date of birth to begin your search for dental insurance coverage. To get a Kentucky dental insurance quote, just click on the button below.