Are you looking for the best dental insurance in Louisiana?
We recognize how challenging it may be to sift through all of the plans that are being provided to you.
But there’s good news! We've already done some of the hard work for you and gathered details on Louisiana's top dental insurance plans in this article.
In this guide, we’ll go over the following:
- What are the best types of dental insurance in Louisiana?
- How to find dental insurance in Louisiana with no waiting period
- What is the best dental insurance in Louisiana?
Before buying dental insurance, be careful to research all of your alternatives. Having the proper dental insurance might significantly lower your out-of-pocket costs for dental treatment. Conversely, if your dental insurance does not cover your required dental work, you will incur additional dental expenses.
We hope after reading this article you‘ll be able to make a good decision and choose the dental insurance plan that most closely matches your needs.
Not from Louisiana? Read our nationwide dental insurance guide instead.
By visiting Dentalinsurance.com, you can easily and quickly explore a comprehensive selection of dental insurance plans in Louisiana. Searching for the best plans in your state is simple with our online marketplace, and you can sign up if you discover one you like.
To see the plans close to you, just enter your zip code and date of birth. To speak with one of their licensed representatives, call 888-626-0057.
Table of contents
- 1 Types of dental insurance in Louisiana
- 2 Considerations to make before purchasing dental insurance in Louisiana
- 3 Best dental insurance plans in Louisiana
- 4 Other dental insurance options
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 FAQ
Types of dental insurance in Louisiana
We'll start by giving an introduction to the kinds of dental insurance offered in Louisiana. There are many different dental plans — but in this article we'll focus on the following:
- Dental discount plans: If you need urgent dental treatment, dental discount plans, also known as dental savings programs, are a great way to save money. Although they are not dental insurance, and you'll have to pay the dentist directly, they are a great way to lower your out-of-pocket expenses.
- PPO plans make up the vast majority of dental insurance coverage in Louisiana, despite having the highest rates. They are appealing since they provide you with the largest network of dentists to choose from and offer comprehensive coverage, even for significant procedures.
- DHMO plans: These are often less expensive than PPO dental policies. DHMO plans provide the benefits of often having no waiting periods and no deductibles to pay. And you’ll be charged a set co-payment rather than a percentage of the whole cost with these kinds of dental insurance.
Considerations to make before purchasing dental insurance in Louisiana
Finding the best dental insurance in Louisiana requires more than a simple pricing comparison. The most economical dental insurance isn't necessarily the cheapest rate. The following factors should also be taken into account:
The following list shows the various components that make up the dental plan's total cost:
- Premium: Your payment to your insurance company in return for coverage is known as your dental insurance premium. You are responsible for this fee whether you file a claim or not.
- Maximum limit: The most money a dental insurance coverage will reimburse in a given year or throughout the policy's lifetime.
- Deductible: The deductible is the amount of money you are responsible to pay before your insurance starts to pay for your dental treatments.
- Co-payment: This is the out-of-pocket maximum for each treatment. Depending on the kind of dental insurance you have, this might be a fixed amount or a percentage of the total cost.
Dental insurance plans normally provide full coverage for preventative and diagnostic dental services like cleanings, exams, and x-rays.
However, you should opt for a higher premium if you need more complex procedures, such as crowns, dental implants, root canals, braces, or teeth whitening, since these may be rather pricey.
Most dental insurance plans may require that you wait a specific length of time before undergoing certain dental procedures. Therefore, if you need immediate dental care, give obtaining dental insurance in Louisiana with no waiting period first priority.
Best dental insurance plans in Louisiana
If you need cheap dental insurance in Louisiana, Medicaid is a government-run program that is free to its participants. However, coverage is limited among the states, and Louisiana isn't likely to have Medicaid that covers dental.
So instead, have a look at the following dental plans:
There are a large variety of plans offered by Delta Dental of Louisiana. Here are two of them:
Delta Dental for Everyone Gold (PPO)
This dental plan provides you an annual maximum of $1,000 and requires you to pay a $50 deductible per person per year for all offered services. Exams, cleanings, and x-rays are covered by 60% in the first year, 80% in the second year, and 100% in the subsequent years.
Fillings are covered by 50-80% after a six-month waiting period. After a 12-month waiting period, you get access to 30% coverage (50% in year three) on major procedures like root canals, dentures, and deep cleanings.
Delta Dental Immediate Coverage Plan (PPO)
This dental plan, provided by Delta Dental of Louisiana, gives you a generous $3,000 annual maximum limit. There’s no deductible for any services except for orthodontics. A $25 co-payment will be charged at every office visit.
Exams, cleanings, and x-rays are covered by 80-100%. Fillings are covered by 60-80%. All other major services, such as extractions, root canals, dentures, and deep cleanings are covered by 10% in the first year, 40% in the second year, and 50% in the third year.
Humana also offers a variety of PPO plans in Louisiana.
Humana “Bright Plus” dental plan (PPO)
This dental plan from Humana in Louisiana gives you full coverage on preventive services (exams, cleanings, x-rays), regardless of whether you go to an in-network or out-of-network dentist.
After three months you get 60% coverage on fillings and extractions. The plan maximum is $1,250 per calendar year per person. A $50 deductible will be charged for individual dental insurance and $150 for family dental insurance.
Humana's “Loyalty Plus” dental plan (PPO)
Exams and cleanings are fully covered from day one under this Humana dental insurance plan. X-rays, fillings, and extractions are covered by 40% in the first year, 55% in the second year, and 70% in the third year.
Major services, such as crowns, root canals, dentures, and deep cleanings are coved by 20% in the first year, 30% in the second, and 50% in the following years.
The annual maximum also increases for loyal plan members. You’ll get $1,000 in the first year, $1,250 in the second year, and $1,500 in the third year. There’s a $150 yearly deductible for individual dental insurance and a $450 deductible for family dental insurance.
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Blue Cross Blue Shield also offers a range of dental insurance plans in Louisiana that matches different budgets and requirements.
Blue Cross Blue Shield “Essential Traditional” dental plan
This dental plan offers you an annual maximum benefit of $1,000. There’s a $75 yearly deductible per member. However, there are no out-of-pocket costs and no deductible for preventive services such as exams and cleanings.
Emergency palliative treatment is covered by 80%. Space maintainers and simple extractions are covered by 50% with no waiting period. After six months you get access to 50% coverage on fillings, and after 12 months you get 50% coverage on periodontics, surgical extractions, crown repairs, and bridges.
Blue Cross Blue Shield “Preferred Traditional” dental plan
This Blue Cross Blue Shield dental plan of Louisiana works similarly to the above-mentioned. However, you only need to pay a $50 deductible and you get higher coverage.
Basic services, such as space maintainers, fillings, periodontics, and extractions are covered by 80%. More complex procedures, like crowns, dentures, and bridges are covered by 50% after a 12-month waiting period.
Type of plans offered
PPO, Medicare Advantage Plans
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Details correct at time of writing; check with the insurer for current and complete policy details.
Other dental insurance options
You may also pick more specialized forms of dental insurance based on your unique preferences.
- Retiree military dental insurance
- Dental insurance for braces
- Invisalign dental insurance
- Dental insurance for seniors
- Dental insurance that covers implants
Whatever dental insurance provider you choose, bear the following things in mind as you search for the best dental insurance plan in Lousiana:
- If you just need regular cleanings, and occasional fillings, and your teeth are generally in good shape, a low-cost premium plan is probably the best option.
- If, on the other hand, you think you'll need expensive treatments in the future, you should get a more expensive plan that covers more. It will drastically decrease your out-of-pocket expenses.
- Make sure you understand the terms of the policy before purchasing dental insurance.
- Always take advantage of routine preventive cleanings, especially if your dental insurance covers them completely. Regular dental cleanings and exams will keep your teeth in good shape and ultimately save you money in the long run.
We researched the most popular dental insurance plans in Louisiana and verified that they were accessible in the state's major cities, including New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Metairie, and Lafayette.
However, depending on your location, you can have access to more dental insurance companies including Aetna, Guardian Direct, NCD Dental, Ameritas, Cigna, Metlife, Careington, Nationwide, and Renaissance Dental.
Dentalinsurance.com can help you in choosing the best dental insurance plan for your requirements. You may start looking for Louisiana dental insurance by providing your ZIP code and date of birth. Click the button below to get going.
Of course, insurance plans vary state by state, even if they are offered by the same company.
If you want to read about the best insurance option in any other state, please select from the list below.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Can I get dental and vision insurance in Louisiana?
If you are interested in dental and vision insurance plans in Louisiana, take a look at Humana and get a dental insurance quote. However, many other providers may offer it too.
How to get dental insurance in Louisiana?
How much is dental insurance in Louisiana?
There are several dental insurance options for every price range. Dental insurance in Louisiana begins at a monthly cost of $15, while dental discount plans start at around $9.
How to buy dental insurance for individuals in Louisiana?
Many dental insurance providers offer policies for individuals in Louisiana, and you can compare prices online. Dentalinsurance.com is a good place to get a dental insurance quote and compare prices.
What is the best dental insurance to get in Louisiana?
There is no one-size-fits-all dental insurance in Louisiana. Delta Dental, Humana, Metlife, and Blue Cross Blue Shield have good and affordable dental insurance plans for any budget.