Are you looking for dental insurance in West Virginia? We know how hard it can be to figure out which dental plans are best for you.
But there's good news! We've already done some of the work for you.
In this article, we put together a list of the best dental insurance plans in West Virginia, and we also cover the following:
- The best types of dental insurance
- How to find dental insurance in West Virginia with no waiting period
- A comparison of the best dental insurance plans in West Virginia
Take the time to thoroughly investigate your options before enrolling in a dental insurance plan because selecting the ideal dental insurance may save you a significant amount of money in the long run. Choosing the wrong dental insurance, on the other hand, may result in additional costs.
We hope that this information will assist you in identifying the appropriate dental insurance in West Virginia that meets your individual needs.
Not from West Virginia? Read our comprehensive guide to dental insurance in the US instead.
Dentalinsurance.com makes comparing West Virginia's dental insurance plans easier. Finding and enrolling in the best plans in your state is simple and quick with our online marketplace.
To check what plans are available in your area, just enter your zip code and date of birth, or call 888-626-0057 to talk with one of their representatives.
Table of contents
- 1 Types of dental insurance in West Virginia
- 2 What features to consider when looking for dental insurance in West Virginia
- 3 Best dental insurance plans in West Virginia
- 4 Other possibilities for dental insurance
- 5 Comparison of dental insurance plans in West Virginia
- 6 Conclusion
- 7 FAQ
- 7.1 Can you get dental and vision insurance in West Virginia?
- 7.2 How much does dental insurance cover in West Virginia?
- 7.3 How much is dental insurance in West Virginia?
- 7.4 How to choose the best dental insurance in West Virginia?
- 7.5 Is Humana available in West Virginia?
- 7.6 What dental insurance does West Virginia Avenue accept?
- 7.7 What is the best dental insurance to get in West Virginia?
Types of dental insurance in West Virginia
We'll begin by discussing the various types of dental insurance available in West Virginia. Dental plans come in a large variety, but they can be grouped into three categories:
- PPO: Despite having the highest premiums, these plans account for the great majority of dental insurance policies in West Virginia. They're so attractive because they give you the most possibilities for choosing a dentist and provide extensive coverage even for more costly treatments.
- DHMO: These dental insurance plans are typically less expensive than the more common PPOs. However, you may be forced to choose a primary care dentist who will perform all of your dental work.
- Dental discount plans: If you require dental care quickly, they're a fantastic way to save money. Although they are not dental insurance, they may be able to help you save money on dental treatment. You get a membership card when you sign up for this monthly or annual subscription, which qualifies you for savings on dental services.
The biggest benefit of dental discount plans is that there is no waiting period and treatment may begin immediately.
What features to consider when looking for dental insurance in West Virginia
When searching for affordable dental insurance in West Virginia, there are a few factors to consider.
The plan with the lowest rate isn't necessarily the most affordable dental insurance in West Virginia. When calculating the cost of dental insurance, you must consider all of the elements that influence the final price. These four cost considerations affect the overall expense of a dental plan:
- Premium: Whether you submit an insurance claim or not, you pay a monthly, quarterly, or yearly fee for dental coverage.
- Annual maximum limit: The yearly maximum limit refers to the total amount your dental plan will pay for your treatment in any given plan year. These yearly limits are typically between $750 and $2,500.
- Co-payment: This is the amount you must pay out-of-pocket for each treatment. This might be a set sum or a percentage of the overall cost, depending on the type of dental insurance you have.
- Deductible: This is the amount you must pay out of pocket each year before your insurance company can reimburse you for any expenses. Some insurance plans include a lifetime deductible that applies for the duration of your membership.
Preventive treatments are fully covered by the majority of dental policies in West Virginia. If you need costly dental procedures, such as dental implants, root canals, or braces, you may be required to choose a higher premium plan to cover these costs.
No waiting period
Most dental insurance plans may require you to wait a specific length of time before undergoing certain dental treatments, especially if they are expensive and complex. The average wait time for basic treatments is three months, while the wait time for more expensive operations is six to twelve months.
If you require immediate dental care, make obtaining dental insurance in West Virginia with no waiting period a top priority. It's not easy to get dental insurance with no waiting period for your desired treatment, but here are a few possibilities we found:
- Go with a dental discount plan: The coverage percentages are not huge, but you can enjoy these discounts from day one.
- Look into the Humana Loyalty Plan: None of the covered treatments require a waiting period.
- Check out the Delta Dental Immediate Coverage Plan
You might also want to consider going abroad if you need expensive procedures such as dental implants or All-on-4s. In some cases, you might save up to 70% compared to the price of dental services in West Virginia. You can find more information about dental vacations in our dental tourism guide.
What if there are no dental plans that match your requirements and you don't want to go abroad for a dental vacation?
Well you also have the possibility of dental financing without the use of a dental insurance policy. You can read more about it in our dental financing guide.
Best dental insurance plans in West Virginia
If you're not eligible for low-income dental insurance like Medicaid, look into West Virginia's private dental insurance alternatives. Each dental insurance provider has its own set of qualities. We've compiled a list of the top dental insurance plans in West Virginia so you can start considering your options.
Delta Dental offers a range of affordable dental insurance plans in West Virginia.
Delta Dental Basic Plan (PPO)
This dental plan has a $50 annual deductible fee. The yearly maximum benefit limit is $1,000 per person. Preventive care such as exams, cleanings, and x-rays is fully covered with no waiting period. After six months of being a member, you will be able to get 50% of the cost of fillings and extractions covered.
Delta Dental Premium Plan (PPO)
This Delta Dental plan gives you a $1,500 annual maximum limit. The deductible is $50 per person per year. The costs for exams, cleanings, x-rays, and office visits are fully covered by the dental insurance plan. After a six-month waiting period, you have access to 80% coverage on fillings, tooth removals, teeth whitening, and mouth guards.
To be eligible for 50% coverage on major treatments, you have to wait 12 months. These dental services include surgical tooth removal, root canals, gum cleanings, gum treatments, denture repair, complete dentures, implants, crowns, and orthodontics.
Delta Dental Immediate Coverage Plan (PPO)
This is a dental insurance plan in West Virginia with no waiting period for any treatments. It also gives you increased coverage percentages if you stay a plan member for multiple years. This dental plan has a $150 lifetime deductible. That means you only pay this once, for as long as you stay on the plan.
You’ll get a generous $3,000 annual maximum from year one. Fillings are covered by 60-80% with no waiting period. Extractions, crowns, root canals, dentures, and deep cleanings are covered by 10–50%.
Humana provides two dental insurance plans in West Virginia.
Humana Preventive Plus Plan (PPO)
This is a good alternative if you're looking for a low-cost dental PPO plan. With no waiting time, this dental insurance plan fully covers cleanings, x-rays, fillings, and extractions. These preventive services are also covered at 70% out-of-network.
After a 6-month waiting period, fillings and extractions are covered 50% in-network and 30% out of network. The deductible is $50 per person. However, this fee doesn’t apply to in-network preventive care.
Humana Loyalty Plus Plan (PPO)
This dental insurance plan gives you increasing benefits from years one through three. This includes paying less out of pocket for root canals, fillings, crowns, and other treatments the longer you stay a member of this plan. The annual maximum benefit also increases from $1,000 to $1,500.
You will be charged a one-time deductible of $150 that applies for as long as you stay a member. X-rays, fillings, and extractions are covered by 40–70%. Crowns, root canals, dentures, and deep cleanings are covered by 20–50% after paying the one-time deductible.
All of the mentioned treatments have no waiting period, so this might be a great plan if you require immediate dental treatment.
Metlife West Virginia provides three affordable dental insurance plans.
Metlife Dental Low Plan
Metlife's lowest dental insurance plan has a $750 plan limit per person. Regardless of whether you visit an in-network or out-of-network dentist, preventive treatments such as exams, cleanings, and x-rays are completely covered with no waiting period. After six months, you get 50% coverage on fillings and extractions.
If your teeth are in excellent health and you're searching for a plan that includes just preventative care, this might be a good option. It also gives you a lot of freedom when it comes to picking a dentist. It should be noted, however, that each individual will be charged a $75 deductible.
Metlife Dental Medium Plan
You just have to pay a $50 deductible with Metlife's medium plan, and you get a $1,500 yearly maximum limit. After a six-month waiting period, fillings, extractions, and deep cleanings are covered at 70% of the cost. After a 12-month waiting period, crowns, root canals, dentures, and implants are covered at 50%.
Metlife Dental High Plan
The highest (and most expensive) dental insurance plan provided by Metlife West Virginia has a $2,000 annual coverage limit. Preventive care is covered at 100%. Fillings, deep cleanings, and extractions are all covered up to 80% after a six-month waiting period, regardless of whether you go to an in-network or out-of-network dentist.
After 12 months, you get 50% coverage on crowns, root canals, dentures, and implants. This plan also covers braces with a lifetime maximum benefit of $1,000.
Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
In addition to health insurance, Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield offers a range of dental insurance plans in West Virginia. You may acquire these Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield dental plans whether or not you already have a health insurance plan from this company.
All the dental insurance plans provided by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of West Virginia give you full coverage on preventive care. This includes exams, cleanings, fluoride treatments, x-rays, sealants, and emergency palliative treatment. Basic services such as fillings, space maintainers, endodontics, and repairs are covered by 80%.
There is a $50 deductible fee for individual dental insurance and a $150 deductible for family dental insurance. Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield also offers a higher premium plan which covers basic services by 100%, and in addition, it also covers crowns, dentures, and orthodontics by 50%.
The company also provides a variety of dental and vision insurance policies in addition to these dental plans. Contact Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield West Virginia for further information.
Other possibilities for dental insurance
Have you been unable to identify any dental insurance that meets your needs?
In addition to the dental plans we talked about above, you also have some more specific options, including
- Dental insurance for seniors: As a senior, you'll need different dental services than you would as a younger person. That's why specific dental insurance plans for seniors are being offered.
- Military dental insurance: You are most likely qualified for military dental care if you are currently serving or have previously served in the United States Armed Forces.
- Dental insurance for braces: Only a small percentage of dental insurance policies cover orthodontic treatment, and even if they do, you'll have to pay a hefty copayment. There are, however, specific dental insurance plans for braces available that you may be interested in.
- Dental insurance for Invisalign: Invisalign is a fantastic braces alternative. However, most dental insurance policies do not cover it. To learn more about various Invisalign insurance options, read our detailed article on this topic.
- Dental implant insurance: Dental implants are not covered by many insurance providers. However, there are a few specific dental insurance options that might help you save money on implants. We have a full article with information on this.
Comparison of dental insurance plans in West Virginia
Type of plans offered
Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
Details correct at time of writing; check with the insurer for current and complete policy details.
Picking the right dental plan might be confusing. Keep the following in mind while looking for the best dental insurance in West Virginia, regardless of which company you choose:
- A less costly premium plan is the ideal choice if your teeth are in excellent health and you just need preventive treatment and sometimes a filling.
- If, on the other hand, you anticipate requiring expensive treatments such as dental implants, crowns, or braces, then going with a higher premium plan will be more cost-efficient.
We looked through West Virginia's best dental insurance plans and checked to see if they were available in the state's major cities, like Charleston, Huntington, and Morgantown. Depending on your location, other dental insurance companies, including Ameritas, Renaissance Dental, Cigna, Guardian Direct, NCD Dental, and Nationwide, may also be available.
Dentalinsurance.com can help you choose the most appropriate dental insurance for your needs. By entering your ZIP code and date of birth, you may compare the best dental insurance plans in West Virginia. Simply click the button below to get a quote.
If you want to read about the best insurance options in any other state, please select from the list below.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Can you get dental and vision insurance in West Virginia?
With Medicaid, you should have access to dental and vision insurance in West Virginia. If you don't qualify for Medicaid there might be private dental insurance companies that also offer it.
How much does dental insurance cover in West Virginia?
There are a variety of dental insurance plans available that cover everything from routine cleanings, x-rays, and exams to more complex procedures like dental implants, dentures, crowns, and braces.
How much is dental insurance in West Virginia?
In West Virginia, there are a variety of dental insurance policies to suit any budget. Dental discount plans begin at $8.95 per month, while dental insurance begins at $17 per month.
How to choose the best dental insurance in West Virginia?
Everyone's ideal dental plan is different since everyone's requirements are unique. You should consider what treatments the insurance will cover in addition to the policy's cost.
Is Humana available in West Virginia?
Yes. Dental insurance plans from Humana are available in West Virginia. They have some great dental plans available, including a loyalty program with yearly increasing benefits.
What dental insurance does West Virginia Avenue accept?
West Virginia Avenue collaborates with a lot of dental insurance providers. You also have a variety of payment and financing options to select from. Contact West Virginia Avenue for more information.
What is the best dental insurance to get in West Virginia?
Because everyone's requirements are different, there is no one-size-fits-all dental insurance. Some great dental insurance providers are Metlife, Delta Dental, Humana, and Guardian Direct.
Dentalinsurance.com can help you choose the most suitable dental insurance for your needs. You may start your search for dental insurance choices in West Virginia by entering your ZIP code and date of birth. Simply click the button below to get started.